Personal Insurance

At Burton Insurance we know that every individual and every family is unique. Consequently, we take the time to understand each of our Personal Insurance clients so we can advise you on important insurance coverages you'll want to consider. We'll ask about your most prized possessions so that they can be insured properly. We use a variety of techniques to keep insurance costs low - including soliciting proposals from many insurers. We want you to know that we are on your side.

Below is brief information about various personal insurance protection.


Homeowners insurance is one of the most popular forms of personal insurance and the typical homeowner's insurance policy has two main sections:
  • Section I - Property insurance coverage including Dwelling, Other Structures and Loss of Use.

  • Section II - Personal liability coverage for the named insured and members of the named insured's household who are relatives. Coverage is provided for the residence premise as well as any other premises used by the insured, as a residence, permanently or temporarily. Medical Payments Coverage is also provided usually for $1,000 per person.
Some of the Homeowners Policy coverages that one needs to be informed about are: Replacement Cost or Actual Cash Value, All Risks or Named Perils, the Coinsurance Clause.


The H0-6 policy is a special form of homeowners insurance that was designed to meet the unique insurance requirements of owners of condominium units and cooperative apartments. An insured can only qualify for an H0-6 policy by being an owner occupant of a residential condominium unit or a cooperative apartment.

The insured premises is defined as the unit where the insured resides, an H0-6 policy can not be used to insure a unit owned by the insured but rented or leased to others. The condominium unit is defined as the space between the walls, ceiling and floor.

Sometimes unit owners are responsible for parts of the unit beyond the walls, ceiling and floor. Condominium unit owners also have an undivided interest with other unit owners in common areas of property. Common areas of property could include the land, stairways, halls, parking and storage areas, and the heating and cooling system. The unit owner's responsibilities are usually outlined in the condominium agreement and bylaws. The major loss exposures for unit owners are loss to real property, loss to personal property, and legal liability.


If you live in an apartment or a rented house, renters insurance covers you and your possessions. A standard renters insurance policy protects your personal property in many cases of theft or damage, and may pay for temporary living expenses if your rental is damaged so seriously you can't live in it. It can also protect you from personal liability.

Your landlord's insurance does not cover your personal property. Clothes, jewelry, stereos, televisions, computers, furniture, artwork and other valuable possessions are not protected against loss or destruction unless you arrange coverage through a renters or tenants insurance policy.

Personal Liability Umbrellas

Some people feel the need for additional personal excess liability coverage -- over and above what's provided through their standard auto and homeowners policies for catastrophic losses. Personal umbrella coverage is an economical, convenient way to provide that peace-of-mind protection. To qualify for a personal umbrella policy with most insurers, you must have both auto and homeowners insurance that meet the minimum sufficient liability limits that the insurer requires.

Automobiles and Motorcycles

The value of good automobile or motorcycle insurance often doesn't become apparent until you really need it. Whether it's a minor fender bender or a more substantial accident, it pays to have insurance coverage you can count on.

Coverage that you can count on will provide the proper amounts of insurance and the proper types of protection. A personal auto or motorcycle policy should provide coverage at adequate limits for Collision, Comprehensive, Bodily Injury Liability, Property Damage Liability, Medical Payments, No Fault, Underinsured Motorists and Uninsured Motorists.

Motor Homes

Motor Home policies offers the same basic choices as that of auto insurance with some enhancements and options specific to Motor Home use. Motor Homes are specifically defined as vehicles designed to provide temporary living quarters and built into an integral part of, or permanently attached to, a self-propelled motor vehicle chassis or van.

In order to be considered a motor home, a vehicle must have permanently installed, all of the following features:
  1. Cooking
  2. Refrigeration
  3. Separate heating and/or air condition
  4. Drinkable water supply system including a faucet and sink
  5. Self-contained toilet (built-in and plumbed)
  6. Separate 110-125 volt electric power system
  7. Propane gas system.
Within the umbrella term "motor home" there are a number of sub-classifications used for insurance purposes. These are:
  • Conventional Motor Home - Class A
  • Professional Bus Conversion - Class A
  • Camper Vans - Class B
  • Mini Motor Home - Class C
In addition to typical vehicle insurance options specific coverage can usually be offered for roadside assistance, emergency vacation expenses, replacement cost of personal effects, vacation liability, Mexico physical damage coverage, utility trailer coverage, fire department service charges and motor home full timer's coverage.


Boat coverage that you can count on will provide the proper amounts of insurance and the proper types of protection. A personal boat policy should provide coverage at adequate limits for Collision, Comprehensive, Bodily Injury Liability, Property Damage Liability, Medical Payments, and Uninsured Boaters.


Between hurricanes, tornadoes or just plain bad thunderstorms and heavy rain, summer is flood season. Is your residence properly protected in case of a flood? If you don't have a separate flood policy, the answer is very likely no. Most if not all Homeowners policies specifically exclude flooding. To cover yourself, you must purchase a separate policy under a program that is underwritten by the Federal Government through the National Flood Insurance Program.

The sooner you act the better, too. Unlike most insurance policies which become effective immediately, flood insurance does not become effective until 30 days after you purchase it. This is done to prevent someone from purchasing a policy just before a hurricane hits.

Inland Marine/Valuable Items, Watercraft and Trailers/Extended Personal Property Coverage

An inland marine personal articles floater is used to insure valuable personal property that often requires broader coverage than that provided by an insured's homeowner policy, due to the various exclusions and limitations on homeowners coverages.

The personal articles floater can be used to insure or to increase the coverage for the following nine optional classes of personal property:
  • Jewelry
  • Furs
  • Fine Arts
  • Cameras
  • Musical Instruments
  • Silverware
  • Stamps and Coin Collections
  • Golfers Equipment
In many instances you can also use special endorsements such as Valuable Items, Watercraft and Trailers / Extended Personal Property Coverage to either increase your protection or set special limits or values on specific items.